According to a press release from Fandango Transformers 2 made a spectacular debut on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Here are some stats:
- Last night Fandango sold out more than 2,000 midnight and late night/early morning show times nationwide.
- Fandango has been selling more than 8 Transformers tickets per second during peak periods, prior to opening day. That number could rise today.
- Transformers 2 currently represents 94% of all ticket sales on Fandango (as of 9:00 a.m. PT today).
- Transformers 2 now ranks as Fandango’s biggest pre-sales title of the year to date.
- Transformers 2 is selling twice as many tickets as Iron Man sold on Fandango at the same point in that film’s sales cycle.
- Midnight showtimes of Transformers 2 were sold out across the country, from Abingdon, Maryland to Yuba City, CA. One theater in Las Vegas sold out as many as ten midnight showtimes.
- Theater owners are continually adding new show times throughout the day to accommodate the fan demand.
“The film’s success proves that fans are ready for the summer and looking for an escape,” says Rick Butler, Chief Operating Officer of Fandango. “Moviegoers should certainly buy their tickets in advance before heading to the theater, as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen may end up enjoying one of the top-selling opening days for a weekday in the history of our company.”